Protips: General Life Advice
There are all sorts of good advice out there. Things you should do, and words to live by (“Measure twice, cut once” , “Work like you don’t need money, love like you’ve never been hurt and dance line no one’s watching”, “the best revenge is living well”) but really – how many of those do actually follow? They are more like, things to write on your bathroom mirror after you just got dumped or when you have to spend the weekend with your family. All good stuff, but kind of empty. And there are lots of blogs out there about giving advice, and if you should, and to consider the source, etc. etc., but what about some good, solid life advice that makes sense and you can actually use?
I don’t always follow these, but I should. And some I gladly and gratefully live by.
- Have a non-embarrassing email address
- If someone offers you a breath mint/gum – take it
- Sunscreen – every day
- Always pack one more pair of underwear then you think you are going to need
- Live alone? Write down where you are going when you leave the house (and a date/time). (Advice brilliantly surmised after watching marathon sessions of Law and Order)
- When wearing heels, always bring a pair of flats or sandals – leave a pair in the office
- That person you just broke up with? Not your friend – at least not now. Cease contact
- Learn the difference between “to, two and too”, “your and “you’re” and “their and they’re” and how to use an apostrophe
- Buy a bunch of birthday, thank-you and blank cards and keep them in the house
- Buy wrapping paper on sale and ahead of time
- Print out your photographs and write the date on the back
- Never cut bangs, especially if you get the inspiration right after a break-up
- Always ask your doctor for samples of whatever he or she prescribed for you
- It’s never worth it to make puff pastry from scratch
- Back up your cell-phone address book
- Repairing a really great pair of shoes is usually worth it
- Be a good hand washer
- Always carry ID, a pen, matches, quarters, gum and when possible – water
- Consider the motivation of any advice giver
What is some of your best, general life advice?
Got good, solid advice about careers/jobs? Hindsight for the teenage years? First-aid? Dating? Tech tips? Household tips?
Email them to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) – I’ll compile the best and post.
And, because enough people under the age of 50 don’t know about Allan Sherman, I give you the best of the Borscht Belt!